[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::GenBank batch mode usage

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 2 19:29:29 UTC 2009

If you are just downloading the records to a file it might be better
to retrieve the raw records using EUtilities, providing you have
either the accession number or the GI.  If downloading files via
Bio::DB::GenBank, it requires a preparse and write to file via
Bio::SeqIO.

---------------------------

use Bio::DB::EUtilities;
use Bio::SeqIO;

my @ids = (); # your GI/acc here

my $factory = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(
    -eutil => 'efetch',
    -db    => 'nucleotide',
    -rettype => 'genbank',
    -id => \@ids);

$factory->get_Response(-file => "records.gb");

If you have a long lost of IDs you can use epost first, then efetch
using the search history.  This page has a few recipe scripts:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:EUtilities_Cookbook

chris