[Bioperl-l] genbank (blast) alignments

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Thu Jul 23 21:20:32 UTC 2009

In my experience on the list, everyone gets helped as soon as it is
possible for the extremely busy people who do the helping make
time for it. For example, I trolled the list in my limited free time the
other night and answered two outstanding questions. Of course,
I encourage others to do the same, and they do. One thing I tend
not to do is to lay the guilt trip on already busy people. I find this
helps me in later interactions, presently unimagined, with those busy
and influential persons.

The culture may be different for other open source projects. I have
found a good strategy here to be: provide the help with minimal editorial
comment (either on others' response, or your own), and let the help
you provide speak for itself and accumulate over time.

cheers,
MAJ