[Bioperl-l] Bio::Ext::Align build problems

Antonio Fernandez Guerra afernandez at ceab.csic.es
Thu Jan 22 15:05:48 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I am trying to build Bio::Ext::Align form the bioperl-ext package in
order to use pSW in a x86_64  machine ( Xeon X5460, RHLE 5.2 ) but I
get this error when compiling:

/usr/bin/ld: source/libsw.a(aln.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a
local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
source/libsw.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Bio/Ext/Align/Align.so] Error 1

I've seen that someone has reported this error before but without any
solutions, before to spend some time in the problem has anyone been
successful to build it in a x86_64 machine? Or has someone a
workaround to solve it?
I've built bioperl-ext without problems in my macintel and on my
Debian box but I was unable to build it there.

Thank you for your time,
Antonio.