[Bioperl-l] [ANNOUCEMENT] BioPerl 1.6 RC3

Phillip San Miguel pmiguel at purdue.edu
Wed Jan 21 12:45:18 UTC 2009

    And the late 90's!
    The situation is a little more complex though. Pharmacia had an
older instrument or two called the "Alf" and/or "Alf-red". I never saw
one of those. But the Alfx -- that instrument rocked my world! 700+ base
reads were common and there was a cycle sequencing kit available so I
could sequence off 25+ kb subclones and lambda DNA.
    Anyway, I can probably dig up some .alx files. But I think I tried
to read one with SeqIO once and it failed. So it may be that
Bio::SeqIO::alf really only reads the older .alf files, not the more
modern .alx trace file format.
    Phred could read them--poorly. It used the raw, rather than the
processed traces, evidently.

Phillip