[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::GFF with additional information

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Wed Feb 18 06:26:16 UTC 2009

Alper -

When you have a feature you can get (or set) the tags for this type of
information.

# note, list context because this method returns a list
my ($height) = $f->get_tag_values('Peak_Height');

# or you can set it, and then use a Bio::DB::GFF store method to
update the data in the database
$f->add_tag_values('Peak_Height',$height);

There are also some Bio::DB::GFF specific method for getting and
setting tags, forgetting what they are off the top of my head, but I
encourage you to read the Bio::DB::GFF documentation, (perldoc
Bio::DB::GFF) or link to the wiki page for this module and see the
links to CPAN and our Pdoc generated HTML.  Lincoln as usual provides
extensive documentation for his contributed modules.

Eventually you may want to take a look at Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store
which more properly implements GFF3, but for many purposes
Bio::DB::GFF will be speedy and and just what you need.

-jason