[Bioperl-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Alpha 1.6 releases of BioPerl-run, BioPerl-db, BioPerl-network

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 9 03:35:28 UTC 2009

On Feb 8, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Mark A. Jensen wrote:

> All your points sound reasonable; certainly without a hard look it
> would
> be most expedient just to zap the module. I would say that 1) it
> would be
> pretty useful to have all the BioPerl config data in one place, and
> 2) M:B's solution is a way to do this that seems pretty convenient
> for the installation of a single module, or a single distribution, but
> might not scale well to BioPerl's multi-distribution
> complexity, at least not without some help. If there are any
> Module::Build
> hackers listening, hope they'll chime in.

I believe one can call (and modify, if permissions allow) the
ConfigData file, so it's feasible to just modify the already-installed

> If BP built its own config
> module, we could divide the "static" and "dynamic" config information
> explicitly according to whatever is decided, and provide that
> infomation
> programmatically; I think I can imagine scenarios (say a failover)
> that
> one might want to check what the current db settings are in a nice
> standardized
> way and then decide what to next. Being vague here intentionally, as
> I'm
> just getting to understand the machinery and techniques of configs
> and distributions.
>
> (Could the issue benefit from a wiki page?)

Yes.  I will work on getting the current build system going and then
go from there.  It'll need some more discussion so I'll start up a new
thread then.

Alex, I'll work on getting the file removed for the next BioPerl-run/
db/network alpha (and it'll be removed from core for 1.6.1).  Should
be out in the next day or two.

-c