[Bioperl-l] [Biopython] Comparison between bioperl and biopython?

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Tue Dec 29 21:57:49 UTC 2009

On Dec 29, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> May I ask somebody who are versitile in both bioperl and biopython
>>> comment on the pros and cons of bioperl and biopython? I'm sending
>>> this email to both bioperl and biopython mailing lists. But I hope
>>> that it will not result in any contention.
>>>
>>> I assume that the functionality between bioperl or biopython is the
>>> same, i.e., tasks can be done in bioperl can be done biopython and
>>> vice versa, as both libraries have been out there over 10 years.
>>> Please correct me if my understanding is not true.
>>
>> The two projects have similar goals, but saying that the
>> functionality
>> is the same would be an extreme oversimplification.  You will need to
>> define what you want to do and then check to see what the two
>> projects
>> have to offer.  This will, in general, require perusing the websites
>> for both projects as well as the relevant documentation.
>
> According to your experience, are there some tasks that are easier
> with one than with another?

As you have still failed to give much insight into the 'tasks' it is
hard to give you a better answer.

If there is a module or set of routines already written then yes one
might be easier than the other. Otherwise it just depends on your
strengths in the programming language.
We discussed the strengths of the different toolkits briefly on the
podcast last month.  http://twit.tv/floss96

I echo Sean. Use whichever language you are a better programmer in.
BioPerl is more mature in some facets than is BioPython, but BioPython
has some components that are more heavily developed and supported than
BioPerl (structures being one of those and interfacing that to pyMol
would be a strength).   I personally think the Gbrowse, Bio-Graphics,
and Bio::DB::GFF/Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store interface to Sequence
databases and Features is a critical aspect of mining  genomic data
and features and use these heavily in my work, making BioPerl easy and
powerful for my tasks. That and sequence and alignment parsing and
reformatting.  But there are comparable tools written in python with
and without BioPython that you can also use so mainly it is about
building up an expertise in a toolkit and going forward.  The BioPerl
faithful will probably say it is more useful toolkit to us, but we are
of course a biased sample.

Both projects can benefit from more users and developers contributing
code and documentation so I would just jump in and give it a try if
you are unsure which will be easier for you.