[Bioperl-l] call for help and comments on module

Dan Kortschak dan.kortschak at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Dec 22 05:51:30 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,

maptool either outputs to stdout or a specified file - I chose to use a
specified file and run it that way, but I've tried the redirect a you
suggest, with the same failure result. I think it's a strangeness of
maptool (which may well be a reason for it being dropped - also note the
maptool output doesn't seem reasonable for the test data provided even
when run from the command line).

It's probably a result of difficult interaction between IPC::Run and
maptool. Any funkiness in your code is not likely to be a cause as I've
deeply analysed what is being passed to IPC::Run, and I've quite
extensively modified the IPC run handling method from your code to take
into account the differences between a single executable with many
commands as the base code managed from a cluster of executables each
taking a small subset of different filespecs as bowtie needs. My
funkiness will undoubtedly swamp yours.

Resolution: Will drop bowtie-maptool from module.

(Should test maqconvert - if it fails, this will be dropped also unless
someone asks otherwise).

When the module copes with 0.11.* properly I'll start thinking about
0.12.* which has colourspace handling to deal with.

cheers
Dan