[Bioperl-l] Fwd: problem with bioperl (where's the Mus?)

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 25 04:28:26 UTC 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Chris Fields wrote:
>

>> On Aug 24, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Sendu Bala wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> Ah, yes, well there you go then. So it is a classification()
>>> issue. Judging by what I said in that bug, looks like the db code
>>> needs to be changed to put the full scientific name in the first
>>> element it passes to classification.
>>

>> Yup.  I believe the only blocking issue with implementing it was
>> potential backwards-compat problems with databases loaded using old
>> behavior and then being updated post-1.5.2 (new behavior).
>
> The code change is for retrieving data, right? So I'm not sure how
> it would break backwards compatibility, unless one has taxon entries
> created before the change (i.e., about 3 years ago?) and through
>
> 	-hilmar

Okay, if possible I would like you or Sendu to review that last commit
I made to bioperl-db.  It includes Sendu's patch; I commented out
sections that were modifying the genus/species when loaded in, but
there are a few TODO's I noted as well (everything is in
populate_from_row()).

02species.t is now failing but I think it's based on the same old
behavior; I'll look into it.