[Bioperl-l] About binning data for histograms

Abhishek Pratap abhishek.vit at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 08:06:49 UTC 2009

Hi All

After a lot of look up on forums I could google, I am finally posting
my question here. I think it may not be appropriate for this mailing
list. I apologize for this first up. The question is regarding dynamic
binning of data points for histogram plots.

So I have many hashes, each having a "numerical" coverage data
obtained from Next generation sequencing data analysis. Now each hash
may have couple of hundred to thousands entry "contig_name =>
coverage".  What I want to do is to plot a histogram for each
hash/dataset.  "Coverage v/s Count of contigs with coverage > #N " ( N
has to be binned according to the data size).

I am using Chart::Gnuplot for this but I am not able to figure out how
to bin the data points to fit nicely on a screen. Is there any
smart/quick method to do this.

Any pointers will help a great deal.

Best Regards,
-Abhi