[Bioperl-l] on BP documentation

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Aug 15 19:41:56 UTC 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 11:41 PM, Chris Fields wrote:

> I would take more up-to-date POD over wiki (maybe adding a Status:
> for the methods), but a good HOWTO goes a long way in helping.  It's
> just too hard to cover every use case.

I'd very much second this. An API documentation should arguably be
written by the developer(s) and hence I would expect to find in the
PODs.

Use-cases, however, and how to solve those in BioPerl can and should
be contributed by everyone, and the wiki is just way better at
facilitating this.

As for the FASTA example, I can understand - I've heard repeatedly
from people that one of the things that they are missing is
documentation for every SeqIO format we support  (such as GenBank,
UniProt, FASTA, etc) about where to find a particular piece of the
format in the object model.

	-hilmar