[Bioperl-l] bioperl 1.6 installation on vista with perl 5.10

Jonny Dalzell jdalzell03 at qub.ac.uk
Sun Aug 9 09:06:26 UTC 2009

Thanks for the replies,

I emailed Chris and Brian individually, but I guess it would be helpfull if
I threw my solution to "the dogs"

In the end I found that by downloading subversion (you need to sign up to
collabnet for a user account first), and following the installation
instructions of the relevant subversion pages on the bioperl site
(http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Using_Subversion), that It downloaded fine
first time.  No need for CPAN, or a PPM, just copy paste 'svn co
svn://code.open-bio.org/bioperl/bioperl-live/trunk bioperl-live' into your
command line, and it auto installs in under 30 seconds...definately the way
to go for anyone else out there trying to bust-a-move on a Win machine.

At time of writing, I have also installed BioPerl-db (same as above, copy
and paste 'svn co svn://code.open-bio.org/bioperl/bioperl-db/trunk
bioperl-db' into command line), and BioPerl-run (I typed in 'svn co
svn://code.open-bio.org/bioperl/bioperl-run/trunk bio' (I THINK), and it
worked fine.  The relevant installation instructions don't give an explicit
command for BP-run installation, but I think that matches the branches and
trunk in the subversion repository (if not, sorry, but you can cross ref its
position in there easily by following the links).  Both have worked without
problem on Strawberry Perl 5.10 through WinVista, so far.

Jonny