[Bioperl-l] Mentors needed for bioperl projects for Google's Summer of Code

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Apr 10 00:00:54 EDT 2009

Hi Robert - thanks for putting us into the loop!

On Apr 9, 2009, at 10:10 PM, Robert Freimuth wrote:

> The Perl Foundation is looking for mentors for several projects for
> Google's Summer of Code.  Two of the projects are directly applicable
> to bioperl.
>
> In particular they're looking for mentors for these projects:
>
> Bio::Restriction::* - Improve reading and writing of RE collection in
>    different formats; add support for multicut/multisite enzymes.A
> bioperl parser module for repeats/transposons.

I don't want to dampen any enthusiasm and the project may indeed be
worthwhile, but it's also worth noting that we haven't ever seen the
student applicant here (assuming it's the same who contacted Heikki a
while ago).

Having said that, the fact that there hasn't been any community
interaction from the student yet obviously doesn't have to mean that
there can't be any in the future. But in the Google Summer of Code
spirit of recruiting new contributors into FLOSS communities, it's a
less than ideal start.

	-hilmar