[Bioperl-l] code coverage metrics

Spiros Denaxas spiros at lokku.com
Fri Sep 19 10:17:52 UTC 2008

Hello,

I recently sent Chris an email about an idea I had, quantifying (and
improving) the test coverage that we currently have on the bioperl
core. I know there's a list on the wiki [1] with a list of tests that
have low coverage and/or complete lack of tests. My idea was to
somehow standardize and automate the generation of this list,
preferably on a weekly basis initially. We can then more easily see
where help is needed and possible assign individual tasks to tackle
the most-suffering modules.

There are currently several very good CPAN modules that do this, like
Devel::Cover [2]. Is there any objection if I kick this off and start
doing some work, aiming into creating a more detailed report on code
coverage using the current HEAD and test suite?

Spiros

[1] http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Untested_Modules_in_BioPerl
[2] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Devel-Cover/lib/Devel/Cover.pm