[Bioperl-l] SimpleAlign - get_seq_by_id

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Oct 26 05:59:50 UTC 2008

On Oct 25, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Jason Stajich wrote:

> We have a real problem with each vs get for our API mixture. I think
> there had been some logic there at one point but I think it is
> confusingly mixed now.

The each_XXX is (supposed to be) old-style. I started cleaning this up
to use get_XXX a long time ago but didn't get much beyond Bio::SeqI
and Bio::SeqFeatureI.

> you're right - it should be rolled back. I guess each_seq_xxx gets
> the job done.

Well, couldn't it be that for some implementations iterating over all
sequences is way more expensive that possible using an indexed access?

	-hilmar