[Bioperl-l] Update of bioperl-ext for modern environment

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 26 15:34:37 UTC 2008

Thomas,

We have partially accepted your patch (those specific for
Ext::Align).  The Bio::SeqIO::staden::read patches didn't work,
primarily b/c Bio::SeqIO::staden::read in subversion has already
switched over a while ago to io_lib 1.11 compatibility and is now XS
(no longer Inline::C).  However, since io_lib itself no longer carries
abi/ztf by default (you need the full staden package) those modules no
longer appear to work.

There are still some significant bugs that need to be worked out
within bioperl-ext, particularly re: AlignStats, the alignment
algorithm, etc.  The problem is the code has suffered some bit-rot
over the years and isn't particularly well-supported; most bioperl-ext
related bugs in Bugzilla have been around for a very long time.

What might be an alternative avenue to pursue is the BioLib
initiative, which aims to make swig-based libraries available for all
Bio* languages (and will likely have better support).

http://biolib.open-bio.org/wiki/Main_Page

chris