[Bioperl-l] Bio::Search::HSP::GenericHSP::seq_inds

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 27 15:05:59 UTC 2008

According to the GenericHSP::seq_inds() POD, seq_inds() reports
residue positions (indices) for the query/subject based on identity/
conservation, i.e. these are fro the original sequence positions as
determined by the HSP data, not alignment column positions.  'gaps'
should be reported at the position prior to where a gap is inserted.
However I think something is getting borked when the gap length is
longer than one, so I would partially qualify this as a bug.

Example: When I ran this using bioperl-live it gives a different set
of gaps indices which appear to be correct.  I reran the BLASTP using
the web form using your query against swissprot and parsed it.  I got
slightly different results for the BLAST report (probably differences
in the query sequence):

 >gi|74746888|sp|Q5VT52|K0460_HUMAN Uncharacterized protein KIAA0460
Length=1461

  Score = 35.8 bits (81),  Expect = 0.47, Method: Composition-based
stats.
  Identities = 22/55 (40%), Positives = 32/55 (58%), Gaps = 3/55 (5%)

Query  394  IAVEEETKTTKKNKKQ-QQQANKNKNKNKKK--TTIAPEAAIDANIAAEVHTQVL  445
             +A+ E   TT K +KQ ++  NK  NK  KK  T+  P+AA+ + I AE  +Q L
Sbjct  139  VALREALSTTFKTQKQLKENLNKQPNKQWKKSQTSTNPKAALKSKIVAEFRSQAL  193

seq_inds('query' => 'gaps') reports 409,423, and 424, which is
partially correct, e.g. there is a gap inserted after position 409 and
423 in the query.  However, no gap is present after 424; I think this
occurs b/c the gap length is 2.  The other HSPs report similar problems.

chris

P.S. Just saw than Sendu posted; I agree, seq. positions with gap
lengths > 1 should be repeated.  Should be easy to fix that.