[Bioperl-l] Problems when trying to persist a sequence in my BioSQL database using, BioPerl

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Jun 26 10:02:38 UTC 2008

Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> The real question is why your version of Perl doesn't seem to have
> support for weak references (the reason for Scalar::Util failing to
> load). Could you give details on your OS version and your version of
> Perl (output of 'perl -V').

Given that it seems to be perl 5.8.8, I'm guessing this is the
RedHat/Fedora issue:

http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/Task-Weaken-1.02/lib/Task/Weaken.pm

Solutions:
First try installing the latest version of Scalar::Util yourself:

perl -MCPAN -e shell
force install Scalar::Util

(and see that it gets installed in a place that is checked before the
Fedora version, or overwrites the Fedora version)

If that doesn't work, you'll have to download and compile Perl yourself
from source (don't use Fedora's installation system).

> The question for BioPerl is whether there is a fall-back mechanism we
> might want to support if weak references aren't supported, rather than
> rendering the genbank parser unusable. Sendu or Chris - any thoughts on
> this?

Firstly, Task::Weaken should get added to Build.pl as a requirement, so
people get better error messages. If we do that, however, the whole of
BioPerl doesn't get installed, never mind just the genbank parser not
being usable.

As for a fall-back mechanism, I'm not really sure how that would work.
The easiest thing to do would be to just not deal with the species lines
if Bio::Species doesn't work. Is that an acceptable fall-back? If not,
more thought and discussion is needed. Make a proposal: what would you
want to happen?