[Bioperl-l] [Wg-phyloinformatics] Re: phyloXML weekly report

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 9 18:12:29 UTC 2008

[cross-posting to bioperl-l for archiving]

On Jun 8, 2008, at 11:32 PM, Han, Mira wrote:

> issues:
> There are a lot of <if/elsif>s when processing the elements,
> I tried to make a hash of function references that point to the
> member functions,
> But when I tried calling it through the hash, it was giving me an
> error that I'm trying to call a method on an unblessed object.

I ran into something similar when setting up a few SeqIO modules
(Bio::SeqIO::gbdriver being on of them) which passed on data chunks to
method handlers.  It has something to do with how the method is set up
in the class (package) namespace and how you refer to it.  It's a
little tricky b/c you run into semantic issues with perl's 'hammered-
on' OO, but it can be done.

If you call using '$self->{lookup}->{$tag}->(@args)' directly, what
happens is you can successfully call the method since you are still in
the proper module namespace.  However, since you aren't calling from
the invocant ($self) directly but rather from a reference in the
invocant, it treats the call like a subroutine instead of a method.
Therefore no invocant is passed as the first argument (you will
instead get either the first element in @args or 'undef' assigned to
$self within the method).  Not sure if this is supposed to be a
feature or a bug.  Regardless, any attempt within the method to do
something with $self will result in a 'using an unblessed reference'
or 'not a hash reference'.

There are two solutions, both of which work.  If you have method
references stored in a hash table in the invocant:

$self->{lookup}->{tag1} = \&foo;
$self->{lookup}->{tag2} = \&bar;

you can grab the actual code reference (checking using 'exists') and
use it directly on the invocant, but NOT as a code reference.  This
acts as a symbolic reference, which is allowed for subroutine and
method calls (I think it's supposed to be DWIM-my):

if (exists $self->{lookup}->{$tag}) {
     my $method = $self->{lookup}->{$tag};
     $self->$method(@args);
} else {...}

The above also works if you use strings in the lookup table which
contain the name of the methods (again, symbolic reference):

$self->{lookup}->{tag1} = 'foo';
$self->{lookup}->{tag2} = 'bar';

Alternately, you can pass the invocant in explicitly (which looks
weird to me, hence my above solution):

if (exists $self->{lookup}->{$tag}) {
     $self->{lookup}->{$tag}->($self, @args);
} else {...}

perl6 fixes a lot of these issues, but of course it won't be out for a
while longer.

> I'd like to figure out how to do it,
> But before that, is hashing really better than lots of if-elses?

Using a stack of if-elsifs isn't as efficient as a lookup since you
would test each case in succession (so something that is further down
the if-elseif test stack would have passed through and failed each
previous test case before success).  A lookup table would test simply
based on the existence of a value stored under a key (tag).

An alternative is to use 5.10 features (smart matching and given-when,
which is like a switch statement), but that will limit usage for those
still using 5.8.8, which is probably a majority of users, since 5.10
came out just last December.

chris