[Bioperl-l] SeqHound

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Wed Feb 6 01:09:56 UTC 2008

Susan,

I'm joining this discussion late so my apologies if I'm missing the
original point.  If you're trying to routinely download thousands of
sequences from GenBank or SeqHound you probably want to be using ftp
to download the flat files and query/parse locally.  If you're trying
to stay on top of the latest Drosophila ESTs, then how about setting
up a nightly cron job to download the incremental updates from NCBIs
ftp (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genbank/daily-nc) and parse that for
Drosophila EST sequences.  The EST division is huge, but I would
think nightly incrementals should be manageable.

Barry