[Bioperl-l] K-mer generating script

James Estill jestill at plantbio.uga.edu
Sat Dec 20 00:07:11 UTC 2008

SeqIO works great for this. I've used something like the following. This is part of a larger program, so some of this not relevant to what you need ...
========================

$fasta_in = "your_file.fasta";
$k = 3;

my $in_seq_num = 0;
my $inseq = Bio::SeqIO->new( -file => "<$fasta_in",
                 -format => 'fasta');

   while (my $seq = $inseq->next_seq) {

    $in_seq_num++;
    if ($in_seq_num == 2) {
        print "\a";
        die "Input file should be a single sequence record\n";
    }

    # Calculate base cooridate data
    my $seq_len = $seq->length();
    my $max_start = $seq->length() - $k;

    # Print some summary data
    print STDERR "\n==============================\n" if $verbose;
    print STDERR "SEQ LEN: $seq_len\n" if $verbose;
    print STDERR "MAX START: $max_start\n" if $verbose;
    print STDERR "==============================\n" if $verbose;

    # CREATE FASTA FILE OF ALL K LENGTH OLIGOS
    # IN THE INPUT SEQUENCE
    print STDERR "Creating oligo fasta file\n" if $verbose;
    open (FASTAOUT, ">$temp_fasta") ||
        die "Can not open temp fasta file:\n $temp_fasta\n";

    for ($i=0; $i<=$max_start; $i++) {

        $start_pos = $i + 1;
        $end_pos = $start_pos + $k - 1;

        my $oligo = $seq->subseq($start_pos, $end_pos);

        # Set counts array to zero
        $counts[$i] = 0;

        print FASTAOUT ">$start_pos\n";
        print FASTAOUT "$oligo\n";