[Bioperl-l] GenBank entries creation dates

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs at ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Tue Apr 15 10:45:48 UTC 2008

Chris Fields wrote:
> Note in the example I gave that, during the revision history, the
> DBSOURCE changed at the point of the creation date (the original nuc.
>  record was a M. tuberculosis contig sequence, which later changed to
> an updated full M. tuberculosis genome record at the time of the
> 'create date').
>
> Couldn't find anything specific in the GenBank docs on this, but it
> appears (at least for a protein record) the creation date reflects
> the date in which the sequence was either originally deposited or
> originally derived from the nucleotide source record present in the
> record.  In other words, it may not reflect the original date of
> deposition (which could have come from a different record, as in this
> case).
>
> chris

Hi,
I have few answers from the past from NCBI staff to my similar questions
regarding DATE issues and VERSION numbers not being increased upon
"changes" in a record.
I tried below to put into a more readable form my former correspondence.
Hope this helps everybody to understand what happens in the black box. ;)
Martin