[Bioperl-l] What's the best way to produce gff files from genebank/embl formats?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 15 18:43:02 UTC 2007

There are currently many ways to get what you want, but not all are
consistent (particularly re: GFF3).  We are aiming for more
consistent, compliant GFF/GTF output in the next developer series
(1.7) of Bioperl.

You can try using bp_genbank2gff or bp_genbank2gff3 (both in the
scripts directory); these are probably the most common way when
working directly from a seq record.  Bio::Tools::GFF is the most
commonly used class though I'm unsure of it's status for GFF3
output.  From within a Bio::SeqI you can call write_gff() (currently
not very flexible) or from the SeqFeature itself gff_string().
Bio::Graphics::Feature has the additional method gff3_string().
Bio::FeatureIO is also an option, though I would consider it very
experimental (it will likely undergo significant revision in the next
bioperl dev series).

Any others anyone can think of, maybe non-BioPerl related as well?

chris