[Bioperl-l] bioperl: cannot run emboss programs using bioperlonwindows

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 1 20:07:39 UTC 2007

I did a little investigating using my old PC and was able to get
fuzznuc to run using BioPerl and EMBOSS v5.  I had to jump through a
hoop or two but I managed to get it working.

First, realize that EMBOSSWin is NOT the latest EMBOSS for Windows.
You need to remove EMBOSSWin and install the one I linked to
previously (this is an actual EMBOSS beta release).  It's possible
older EMBOSSWin can be configured, but I don't plan on checking it
out myself.

Next, you need to ensure the binaries are in your PATH env. variable
(test by running 'wossname' on the command line), then set
EMBOSS_DATA to point at the EMBOSS data directory using a UNIX-like
path (i.e. 'C:/mEMBOSS/data'); regular Win32 paths didn't work for me
and WinXP recognizes the UNIX'y form as a valid path.  If you don't
know how to set env. variables go here:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

Once that is set up you should be able to run the script using the
latest (greatest?) EMBOSS.

chris