[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tree::Tree -- rerooting & bootstrap problem

Bank Beszteri Bank.Beszteri at awi.de
Thu May 10 16:13:00 UTC 2007

Dear Bioperl folks,

I´m trying to use Bio::Tree::Tree for manipulating phylogenetic trees,
but in some things it did not behave as I expected it to, so I had to
look inside a bit.
In particular, I had problems with mixed up bootstrap values after
re-rooting. After looking into the Bio::Tree::Tree data structures, it
seems that

a) bootstrap values are stored as attributes of nodes of the tree [to my
understanding, they should rather be attributes of branches but
Bio::Tree::Tree apparently tries to simplify away branches]; each node
stores the bootstrap value belonging to the branch that connects it to
its ancestor node (I´m reading in trees from Newick strings, and
bootstrap values arrive in the id fields of internal branches)

b) when re-rooting a tree, bootstrap values stay with the same node
where they were before. Because the node that used to be the ancestor of
a particular node in the original tree might have become its descendant
after re-rooting, the bootstrap values are being mixed up.

Can you confirm my conclusion? Whether yes or no, have you got an easy
workaround or alternative solution to re-rooting trees (without having
to touch the reroot method) or any other hints that could be useful for
me to deal with this issue?

Cheers,

Bank

--
Dr. Bánk Beszteri
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research