[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository [was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy]

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Fri Jun 29 17:07:45 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Nathan S. Haigh <N.Haigh at sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Steve Chervitz <sac at bioperl.org>:
>
> -- snip --
>
> > BTW, I haven't been able to check out the new svn repository via
> > svn+ssh:// because I can't get svn to authenticate with an alternative
> > username. My username on dev.open-bio.org differs from what it is on
> > my local machine, so I issue a command such as:
> >
> > steve at localhost $ svn --username sac checkout
> > svn+ssh://dev.open-bio.org/home/hartzell/bioperl/bioperl-live/trunk
> >
> > but I get challenged with:
> > steve at dev.open-bio.org's password:
> >
> > I also tried putting the --username argument after the subcommand, but
> > it still wants to use my local username. I can ssh -l sac into the dev
> > box no problem. Any suggestions?
>
> [...]
> You could try:
> svn+ssh://USERNAME@dev.open-bio.org/home/hartzell/bioperl/bioperl-live/trunk

Bingo. Thanks for the tips, guys.

BTW, setting up ssh keys was not the issue, since my key is already
set up on the dev machine. The svn --username setting appears to not
be operative at the ssh layer. I  suspected this might be the case
given that the usage info says:

 $ svn --help co
  --username arg           : specify a username ARG
  --password arg           : specify a password ARG

which seemed insecure. I didn't want to send my password in the clear,
and didn't know if or whether svn would hand it off to ssh. It wasn't
even sending my username to ssh, so I knew something was wrong. These
args are probably only intended for accessing local svn repositories,
or non-svn+ssh-based checkouts.

BTW, the svn+ssh check out on Mac OS X works for me. I'm using svn and
openssh installed via MacPorts:

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.4.4 (r25188)
   compiled Jun 28 2007, 23:51:53

$ ssh -version
OpenSSH_4.6p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007

Steve