[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository [was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy]

David Messina dmessina at wustl.edu
Wed Jun 27 16:27:32 UTC 2007

> [Chris]
>
> I managed to get it working using file://.  Haven't tried svn+ssh yet
> but I've had persistent problems getting ssh to work properly on my
> macbook; not sure why yet but I haven't had time to play around
> with it.

I just did a checkout and a test commit, both via svn+ssh -- works
great for me.

>> [George]
>>
>>   - what do we want to do about keywords.  The cvs2svn tool guesses
>>     and automatically sets the svn:keywords property to Author Date
>>     Revision and Id on many of the files in the tree.  If it looks
>>     like it got it right, we can stick with it.  Or, we can disable
>>     that conversion and I've cribbed a little script that'll grep out
>>     files using Id and set the svn:keywords property accordingly.

I would think we would want "Author Date Id Rev URL" set on
everything, no?. So either cvs2svn or your tool (whichever you think
is better), followed by

	svn propset svn:keywords "Author Date Id Rev URL" *

from the root of a working copy would take care of all of the
existing files in the repository, I think.

George knows more about this than I do, but I think you can set up a
global config file with

	enable-auto-props = yes
	* = svn:keywords="Author Date Id Rev URL"

to ensure it gets set on any future additions to the repository.

>>   - what do we want to do about svn:ignore?  I haven't seen any
>>     .cvsignore files.
>
> Not sure.  I've never used one personally, but (as Jason suggests) if
> you have ideas for one you can propose them, or we can suggest devs
> set up svn::ignore locally.

I use the default global-ignores

	global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store

(again, in my system-wide config file), but I'm not tied to that. I
do think we should have one, though; individuals can easily override
any settings in the system-wide config with their own ~/.subversion/
config.

>> Beyond that, how does the repo look?

Looks great, George! Thanks for doing this.

Dave