[Bioperl-l] Bioperl partitioning (was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy)

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jun 20 12:44:08 UTC 2007

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
>
>> I don't think there is any major reason why the following single repos
>> wouldn't do the trick:
>
>> /--
>>   |-bioperl-live
>>   |     |--- trunk
>>   |     |--- branches
>>   |     |--- tags
>>   |-bioperl-run
>>         |--- trunk
>>         |--- branches
>>         |--- tags
>
>> Any reason why this couldn't be used?
>
> That would work fine except that there are several more sub-projects
> (bioperl-db, bioperl-graphics, bioperl-microarray, and a few more).
>
> That should still be fine. I think what needs to be recognized is the
> limitations it puts on permission granularity. If it's all the same
> repository (as is now) then having commit rights to one (subproject)
> will mean commit rights to all. From my perspective that's fine, it
> has worked great so far.

Actually, I think there are ways of creating per-directory access
control.  See here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn-book.html#svn.serverconfig.svnserve.auth.general

With Apache-based https access, such access control is relatively
straightforward, it appears.  With the standalone svn server over ssh,
one needs to use "commit hook scripts" to limit access.  But I think it
is possible (admitting that I have not tried to do this...).

Sean