[Bioperl-l] Taxonomy hierarchy extraction

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jun 19 12:47:02 UTC 2007

So the real mistake was to write

  my $node = $db->get_Taxonomy_Node(-taxonid => '33090');
  my @extant_children = grep { $_->is_Leaf } $node->get_all_Descendents;

instead of

  my $node = $db->get_Taxonomy_Node(-taxonid => '33090');
  my @extant_children = grep { $_->is_Leaf } $db->get_all_Descendents
($node);

I.e., the Bio::DB::Taxonomy object *will* (or is allowed to) ask the
database?

If this is correct, can we highlight this in the documentation? It's
a small difference that everyone failed to spot.

If it is not correct, then maybe we need to revisit the rationale for
why a Bio::DB::Taxonomy::get_all_Descendents may not query the
underlying database.

Also, in my reading of Bio::Taxonomy::Taxon it won't use the database
either for ancestor(). Which would be consistent with its other methods.

I.e., the bottom line is don't use Node or Taxon objects for
hierarchy queries that you expect to use an underlying database, use
the Bio::DB::Taxonomy object instead. It makes sense, but is it true?

	-hilmar