[Bioperl-l] Taxonomy hierarchy extraction

George Heller george.heller at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 22:18:21 UTC 2007

I tried running the below mentioned script and I seem to be getting the following error:

  Weak references are not implemented in the version of perl at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Bio/Tree/Node.pm line 76
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Bio/Tree/Node.pm line 76.
Compilation failed in require at my.pl line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at my.pl line 7.

  My script looks something like,

  #!/usr/bin/perl
  use strict;
#use warnings;
use DBI;
  use Bio::Tree::Node;
use Bio::DB::Taxonomy;
use Bio::DB::Taxonomy::flatfile;
  my $idx_dir = '/tmp';

my ($nodefile,$namesfile) = ('nodes.dmp','names.dmp');
my $db = new Bio::DB::Taxonomy(-source    => 'flatfile',
                               -nodesfile => $nodesfile,
                               -namesfile => $namesfile,
                               -directory => $idx_dir);
 my $node = $db->get_Taxonomy_Node(-taxonid => '33090');
 my @extant_children = grep { $_->is_Leaf } $node->get_all_Descendents;

      foreach $field (@extant_children) {
         print "$field";
         print "|";
         print "\n";
      }

  And I am running the script using the command,

  perl myscript.pl -v --names names.dmp --nodes nodes.dmp

  and I have the nodes.dmp and names.dmp files in the current directory.

  Thanks,
  George

Jason Stajich <jason at bioperl.org> wrote:
  It is implemented in the implementing class - DB::Taxonomy is just the base class. For example see the flatfile implementation Bio::DB::Taxonomy::flatfile

  See the scripts/taxa/local_taxonomydb_query.PLS for example using it:
  nodes and names are from NCBI taxonomy database.

  Here is an un-debugged copy+paste for your question that *should* work.

  use Bio::DB::Taxonomy
  my $idx_dir = '/tmp';

  my ($nodefile,$namesfile) = ('nodes.dmp,'names.dmp');
    my $db = new Bio::DB::Taxonomy(-source    => 'flatfile',
                                 -nodesfile => $nodesfile,
                                 -namesfile => $namesfile,
                                 -directory => $idx_dir);
     my $node = $db->get_Taxonomy_Node(-taxonid => '33090');
 my @extant_children = grep { $_->is_Leaf } $node->get_all_Descendents;

  -jason