[Bioperl-l] SVN and ...Re: Perltidy

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Jun 16 14:55:09 UTC 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 7:21 AM, Sean Davis wrote:

> As for access, the typical access is over http (or https).

We're using svn+ssh here (NESCent) so the password is the same as the
one you set for your account on the server, and you can use public/
private key negotiation for authentication.

I think the ability to not provide a password for every single
interaction is a requirement. If that requires using svn+ssh or can
be made to work through https too I don't know. On sf.net I have to
use https for svn and it doesn't ask me for the password each time.
Not sure how this works though, maybe some local caching?

We should not be using http, or whatever other protocol that sends
unencrypted passwords.

>   Access controls can be set up on the server side while allowing
> anonymous access for checkout.  There are many excellent SVN for
> every OS, so that should not be a problem.

On Mac OSX the most convenient way I have found is through fink. It
does ask to install 30 other dependencies, which had me balk at
first, but me doing it by hand is even worse than fink doing it, so I
finally gave in and it's really a breeze. I've not had a single issue.

  From a sysadmin perspective, what might be worth keeping in mind is
that svn is going to store everything in a database (BerkeleyDB I
think). I.e., there is no such thing anymore as restoring individual
source code files from backup if one gets accidentally corrupted on
the server. It seems you have to restore the entire database, i.e.,
the entire repository. I vaguely recall though that how svn manages
the repository is actually configurable and that other storage than
DB is possible too. Don't ask me for the pros and cons of one vs the
other.

	-hilmar