[Bioperl-l] Splitting Bioperl and Test related Suggestions

Nathan S. Haigh N.Haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 10:01:04 UTC 2007

Quoting Sendu Bala <bix at sendu.me.uk>:

-- snip --

> > I also agree with previous posts about organising and/or having some
> > naming convention for test data files. I think an approach whereby data
> > files were organised into directory trees (1 - 3 deep) with names that
> > elude to the type of data in that subtree/file rather than the tests
> > that use it etc. For example:
> >
> > t/data
> >     |__ formats
> >     |           |__ seq
> >     |           |        |__ legal_fasta
> >     |           |        |              |__ extension.fas
> [snip]
>
> At that level, files don't need extensions and can have fully
> informative names that explain what's interesting or special about them.

You may be correct in most cases, however, isn't there a method for detecting the file format from the file extension and failing that it peeks inside
the file? Therefore there should be a file extension for each of these to get good code coverage as well as each format not having an extension to
check that the peek inside the file correctly determines the format.

-- snip --