[Bioperl-l] How to get from gi/ref/gb to genomic coordinates ?

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Wed Jan 31 22:00:01 UTC 2007

Rainer -

You probably want to download each whole genome as a genbank file,
parse the file and generate the coordinates of all the genes.  AFAIK,
It is non-trivial to get the genomic coordinates starting from a gene
record only using NCBI interface since you really want to see the
sequence in genomic context.

I wrote a genbank2gff formatters that worked okay for my needs:
http://fungal.genome.duke.edu/~jes12/software/scripts/gbk2gff3.perl.txt

You can also try Chris Mungall's Unflattener module:
  http://bioperl.org/wiki/Module:Bio::SeqFeature::Tools::Unflattener
http://search.cpan.org/~sendu/bioperl/Bio/SeqFeature/Tools/
Unflattener.pm

Some annotations are inconsistent from the standardized formats so
you have to work in some special casing if you really want to pull
the data in consistently every time.

There are tools in BioPerl for managing these databases, typically
the data can be represented in GFF format for simplicity and there
are database implementations for fast access to the data.  See
Bio::DB::GFF and Bio::DB::SeqFeature

I did make GFF files during my graduate work for most of the (then)
available fungal genomes - http://fungal.genome.duke.edu/ which may
be useful to you as well.

-jason
--