[Bioperl-l] Question on Tree : Last common ancestor / Internal Nodes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 10 16:06:17 UTC 2007

> Himanshu Ardawatia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using version 1.4 . With this version, I run the
> script (the one
> > you sent) and get the following error:
> > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at tree.pl line 7.
> >
> > -------------------- WARNING ---------------------
> > MSG: Must provide a valid array reference for -nodes
> > Can't call method "id" on an undefined value at tree.pl line 9.
> >

> > I then installed version 1.5.2. With this vesion I get the
> following error:
>
> What error?

Maybe he meant the same error above, just forgot to delete the line.

> > And I get the same error as above .
>
> You probably didn't install 1.5.2 properly. Either you're
> actually still using 1.4, or when 1.5.2 was installed not all
> of 1.4 was first removed.
>   Check your version number (
> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/FAQ#How_can_I_tell_what_version_of
> _BioPerl_is_installed.3F
> ), locate and manually delete your 1.4 installation and try
> the 1.5.2 installation again.

Also, a quick way to locate the version of Bioperl used by default in a
script (including directories defined in PERL5LIB):

(BTW, this came from 'Perl Hacks'):

perldoc -l Bio::Perl

Or whatever Bioperl module you want.

BTW, I get the script to work on Mac OS X and WinXP, so I agree with Sendu:
you likely have problems with different versions of Bioperl installed on
your system causing conflicts.