[Bioperl-l] XEMBL deprecation

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 16 01:48:12 UTC 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Chris Fields wrote:
>
>> The XEMBL web services are no longer available
>
> What happens if someone invokes the module? Should it maybe return
> nothing and warn()? I don't think it's a good idea if the module
> just silently does not function because its backend is no more.
>
> 	-hilmar

Yes, I thought the same.  I have added a warn() noting the
deprecation to the XEMBL constructor and removed XEMBL tests from
CVS.  The modules are still there for the time being.

I actually worry more about the internals; it would be a shame to
toss them altogether.  Would it be worth it to shift this towards a
SOAP-based interface to DBFetch?  Or, more precisely, how much
trouble would it be to do so?