[Bioperl-l] Feature/Annotation rollback finished

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 30 17:27:46 UTC 2007

display_text() is really a hack for explicitly getting the same
output one would have expected from stringification overload for any
Bio::AnnotationI (you can also use callbacks on it for customizing it
if needed, but that's not important here).  It works depending on the
context of what you're trying to accomplish, but it might be best to
use value() specifically in places where you expect only using
Bio::Annotation::Simple.

chris

On Aug 30, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Scott Cain wrote:

> Hi Hilmar,
>
> I'm using it as Chris suggested: where I had be depending on ""
> overloading.  I think in most places, I am using it on
> Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue to get the string that is the simple
> value.
> On more complex data types, I am using other methods built into those
> classes to extract useful stuff for inserting into the database.
>
> Scott
>

> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 12:07 -0400, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> Scott Cain, Ph. D.
> cain.cshl at gmail.com
> GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)
> 216-392-3087