[Bioperl-l] Bio::Ontology::Term (rollback question)

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Aug 27 23:07:12 UTC 2007

The B::O::TermI interface actually says that get_dblinks() would
return scalars. That's why the add_dblink methods accept strings. I
also agree that this is inconsistent with with the rest of BioPerl.

Oddly enough, Term::add_dblink_context() does ask for DBLink objects,
though it doesn't seem to be enforced, even though
Term::get_dblink_context() is advertised as returning scalars.

So it does seem this is messed up design-wise. It seems to me that to
really fix this would inevitably break the API, and I don't see how
you would make this backwards compatible w/o creating a lot of messy
code, the sole purpose of which would be backwards compatibility.

One could only fix Term::add_dblink_context() as it's not in the
interface but that wouldn't contribute anything to improving
consistency.

So the alternative to breaking the API in a non-backwards compatible
fashion would be to add to it, map the existing dblink methods onto
the added ones, and start deprecating them. For example, you could
add methods get_dbxrefs() (also on the interface), add_dbxref(),
etc,   and build in a context argument so we don't need another set
of methods for that. They would accept and return DBLink objects, and
the get_dblink() methods could be changed to map those to scalars
while also getting slated for deprecation.

Does this make sense?

	-hilmar