[Bioperl-l] SeqFeature/AnnotatableI and rel. 1.6

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 23 21:33:25 UTC 2007

Scott,

So far most of FeatureIO.t passes, with only a few exceptions dealing
with the from_feature method (I know what the problem is there).  A
large number of other tests crash horribly (not so surprising), so
I'll have to go through those.  Ergo any changes and testing will
definitely be conducted on a branch then merged back to main trunk
once everything is okay.  I'll probably start a branch in the next
few days or so.

Here's what I have been working on so far, which I think is reasonable:

1) Move all *_tag_* related methods out of Bio::AnnotatableI and into
Bio::SeqFeature::Annotatable.

2) Reinstate the same tag methods in Bio::SeqFeatureI and remove
Bio::AnnotatableI from the inheritance tree.

3) Make Bio::SeqFeature::Annotatable Bio::AnnotatableI (which it
already was, strangely enough).  Now it simple implements the proper
methods from the interface classes SeqFeatureI and AnnotatableI.

4) Revert Bio::SeqFeature::Generic tags back to simple untyped
strings (reimplement the 1.4 rel methods).

I'm interested in seeing whether this results in a significant
performance increase in SeqIO since the Annotation instantiation is
removed.

ToDo: I plan on removing the operator overloading in Bio::Annotation,
which was a serious sticking point with most of the devs.  This won't
be done until after tests pass for everything else.

What we will need at some point which I can't provide:
Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated has no docs (no synopsis, no
description).  The reason I bring this up is Sendu and I are
seriously considering running an automated code audits in order to
gauge which modules lack docs, test coverage, etc..  We're likely
splitting those without adequate test/doc coverage off into a
separate 'dev' release.

chris