[Bioperl-l] newbie wants install help

hari jayaram harijay at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:47:50 UTC 2007

Hi I am trying to install bioperl as a non root user since I dont have root
access on the machine.

I was following the instructions as given on the wiki at
http://bioperl.open-bio.org/wiki/Installing_Bioperl_for_Unix
I started from scratch using perl version v5.8.5 and used cpan to install
the bioperl module prerequisites bundle Bundle::BioPerl since I thought it
was needed. Everything worked just fine
I could use cpan as a non root user following instructions given at
http://www.dcc.fc.up.pt/~pbrandao/aulas/0203/AR/modules_inst_cpan.html

But when I try to install bioperl using the instructions for non-root I get
an error when I build Module::Build because I am not root.
Iget the same Module::Build error when I try to install without CPAN using
command line script perl Build.PL --install_base option as given on the
wiki.

Is there a way out

Thanks for your help in advance
harijay
Brandeis University

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Module::Build::Platform::VMS.3pm
Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Module::Build::Base.3pm
Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Module::Build::Authoring.3pm
Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Module::Build::Compat.3pm
mkdir /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Module:
Permission denied at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 207
Installing /usr/bin/config_data
make: *** [install] Error 255
  /usr/bin/make install  -- NOT OK
    You may have to su to root to install the package
Couldn't install Module::Build, giving up.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
  /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible