[Bioperl-l] dependencies in Makefile.PL

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Sep 26 08:38:17 UTC 2006

Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
> Under Windows, the dependencies could be included in Bioperls PPD
> directly, or have them in Bundle::BioPerl PPD, and have Bioperl depend
> on Bundle::BioPerl - either is straight forward to do. Which to do, I
> suppose, depends on whether there are any benefits to maintaining a
> separate Bundle::BioPerl or not. If there is a benefit to keeping
> Bundle::BioPerl, then the only decision would be if any dependencies
> should definitely be with Bioperl rather than Bundle::BioPerl. Otherwise
> Bundle::BioPerl would become obsolete.

If (after your changes to PPDs, Makefile.PL et al.) you can easily get
to a complete working install without Bundle::BioPerl on all platforms,
then I don't see any benefit to having it. It needs to hang around
unchanged for people who want to install 1.4, however.

(Or if there's a reason to stay with Bundle::BioPerl, we'll need
multiple versions of it for different Bioperl releases - ugh.)