[Bioperl-l] Package status for 1.5.2

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Sep 25 15:43:35 UTC 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:19 AM, Brian Osborne wrote:

> In addition, removing the
> persisting objects does not remove the records (these are my general
> impressions, I'll be corrected if I'm wrong).

Actually, $pobj->remove() *should* remove the database record.
Obviously, don't forget to commit after that or otherwise the DELETE
will be rolled back upon disconnect.

> So, is there a way to delete records using the elegant bioperl-db
> API? Or
> shall I mess with raw SQL?

Let me know if $pobj->remove() does not work and I'll look into it.

Note that deleting a master object will also delete the children (or
associations) provided cascading deletes are enabled. E.g., deleting
a sequence object will also delete the features for that sequence,
and will delete the dbxref associations (NOT the dbxrefs). (Again,
you must have InnoDB enabled in MySQL for this to work.)

Deleting a child object will NOT delete the master object. E.g.,
deleting a sequence object will not delete the taxon.

	-hilmar