[Bioperl-l] Cleanup of BioPerl distribution website

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Sun Sep 17 18:46:38 UTC 2006

Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
> I don't have any immediate problems about the changes either. I've
> seen a few posts recently about installing Bioperl on Windows - how
> soon will 1.5.2 been released? It's not too difficult to generate a
> new ppd file etc so I could make a barebones ppd for 1.5.1?

Go ahead if you want, I'll gladly upload it to the DIST directory.

> I know when I made the ppd file for 1.5 I included a lot of prereqs
> to ensure that most of bioperl would work without the need to
> manually install the modules later once the user found out that
> something didn't work. Personally, despite the need to download and
> install a lot more packages in one sitting, I thought this was
> important since Windows users that install bioperl are probably (or
> more likely) not from a programming background (no offence intended
> if your a whiz programmer working in Windows! :o) ). Therefore, their
> first experience of bioperl would get off to a better start if
> everything worked out of the hat after its installation, despite
> having a longer/bigger install. What do you think?

Definitely this would be better, not only for Windows installations :)

> What is the state of play with regards to tracking dependencies? I've
>  just noticed that Makefile.PL has a lot more packages in %packages,
> is this a complete list of prereqs? If so, could they be added to
> PREREQ_PM in the WriteMakefile sub in order to make it easier for
> generating a ppd with a complete prereqs list?
>
> Nath

Supposedly it's complete, so they should be the same ones to add into
the ppd file. Take a look into Bioperl-1.5.ppd in the 'old_releases'
directory, since it's for the 1.5.0 release, the list should be very
similar to the one you'll have to create.

Mauricio.

--
MAURICIO HERRERA CUADRA
arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Laboratorio de Genética
Unidad de Morfofisiología y Función
Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, UNAM