[Bioperl-l] More on PDB and chains...

Jurgen Pletinckx jurgen.pletinckx at algonomics.com
Fri Sep 15 10:16:44 UTC 2006

| Is anyone else on this list using StructureIO::pdb at all?

*waves hand*

Well, occasionally, in any case.

Kris, the author of the Structure modules, was a colleague. When
he left, I tried taking over the maintenance of the modules. Un-
fortunately, it is way, way down on my priority list. So low, in
fact, that I never committed anything whatsoever to repo, and only
answered to the occasional query.

Regarding architecture - the original design called for stuff like

# my $struc = $stream->next_structure();
# my $chain = $struc->next_chain();
# my $res = $chain->next_residue();

but the implementation ran into severe reference management trouble.
Which is why there is now a single object keeping track of all data,
with everything of note handled via callback to that object. Yeah,
unconventional. That being said, I _think_ you can add streams of
residues, chains, ... without rewriting. But I never had the tuits.

Regarding multiple models: the following works:
my $io = Bio::Structure::IO->new(-file => "/PDB/a4/pdb1a4t.ent");
my $struc = $io->next_structure;
my @models = $struc->get_models;
print scalar(@models),"\n";
my @chains = $struc->get_chains($models[0]);
print scalar(@chains), "\n";
my @residues=$struc->get_residues($chains[0]);
print scalar(@residues), "\n";'

---> 20
---> 2
---> 15

So Model (and there is a Bio::Structure::Model.pm) is an optional
layer between Structure and Chain. Fun!

Finally - regarding non-chain HETATMs - I actually like the behaviour
there, and think it is consistent. If an AA chain is labeled A, then
the HETATMs which are also labeled A are understood to be part of that
chain. By extrapolation, unlabeled HETATMs are part of the unlabeled
chain. <snark> If that's not what the author intended, he surely would
have labeled the AA chain, right? </snark>. Ahem. There is an awful
lot of room for interpretation there, and I argued for (and against)
most of the design decisions.

Cheers,

--
Jurgen Pletinckx