[Bioperl-l] Blast temporary open files not closed

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Sep 11 12:10:34 UTC 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 7:46 AM, ende wrote:

> BioPerl ought to convert the content of the result to local memory
> vars and close and delete any /tmp/temporary files before returning!!

Well that's what I meant by Bioperl needs to serve a variety of
requirement. Your suggestion will probably work great on your machine
and your number of sequences but will fail completely on a machine
with limited memory and a query of 10,000 sequences.

I agree with you that the fact that temporary files will accumulate
along with storing the report objects should be documented (I haven't
checked - maybe it even is but not conspicuous enough?).

Also, I believe that at some point it was being discussed to have the
option of reading everything into memory. I'm not sure where that
went in terms of implementation.

	-hilmar