[Bioperl-l] Bioperl versioning

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 24 14:29:11 UTC 2006

> Sendu Bala wrote:
> > Nathan Haigh wrote:
> >> I see - you mean for a non-RC release append 10 to the version number
> >> and if it's a developer release i.e. 1.5, 1.7 series, you append _10 to
> >> the version.
> >
> > Precisely.
> >
> > 1.5.2 RC3 will have in Bio::Root::Version :
> >
> > $VERSION = 1.52_03;
> > $VERSION = eval $VERSION; # $VERSION is 1.5203
> >
> > 1.5.2 final release would have:
> >
> > $VERSION = 1.52_10;
> > $VERSION = eval $VERSION; # $VERSION is 1.5210
> >
> > 1.6.0 RC1 would have:
> >
> > $VERSION = 1.60_01;
> > $VERSION = eval $VERSION; # $VERSION is 1.6001
> >
> > 1.6.0 final release would have:
> >
> > $VERSION = 1.6010;
> >

> > Nice thing about putting RCs up on CPAN is that I suppose we'd see the
> > test results from cpantesters. The more test results the better :)
> Did you see the cpants site I sent earlier:
> http://cpants.perl.org/dist/bioperl
>
> But I'm not sure why 1.4 didn't make it in there instead of 1.2.3

Yes, odd.  Another thing to note is that CPAN also list two bugs related to
bioperl 1.4.  We may need to have some way of either redirecting users from
there to bugzilla, or routinely checking the CPAN site.  Otherwise we'll
miss those.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry