[Bioperl-l] Blast information

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Wed Oct 18 15:47:14 UTC 2006

I think this will work for you.

The seq_inds method parses the middle homology sequence and
classifies each alignment column and returns a list of the columns
meeting the criteria.  You can interrogate query or hit in this case
since you are requiring it to be identical

my $identicalbases = scalar $hsp->seq_inds('query', 'identical');
my $conservedbases =  scalar $hsp->seq_inds('query','conserved');

Conserved returns those identical or conserved, if you want just
those with conservative replacements use 'conserved-not-identical'

See http://bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO#Table_of_Methods for more
info.

-jason