[Bioperl-l] Should Bio::Tools::BPlite be deprecated?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 16 17:21:46 UTC 2006

Bio::Tools::BPlite was placed on the deprecation list a while back (~ rel
1.5); the other related Bio::Tools::BP* modules were also supposed to be on
that list as well.

If we want to undeprecate (de-deprecate? reprecate?) BPlite we also would
need to do the same for the others.  They must be updated to parse current
BLAST/PSI-BLAST/bl2seq text output, something that Bio::SearchIO::blast is
currently capable of (so the functionality is redundant).  And someone needs
to take them over.

In my opinion it may be more trouble than it's worth as they haven't been
touched in a while.    Seems if we 'revive' BPlite we're not really moving
forward esp. since you have added the PullParser recently and made
substantial improvements to SearchIO.

Maybe Bio::Index::Blast just needs to be deprecated or rewritten to use
SearchIO?

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry