[Bioperl-l] Bioperl Server Reconfig

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Oct 16 16:14:39 UTC 2006

Nathan Haigh wrote:
> Mauricio Herrera Cuadra wrote:
>> Done. Could you please check if it works as it should?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mauricio.
> Will do as soon as I have created a Bioperl 1.5.2-rc1 PPD and got
> someone to pop it in http://bioperl/DIST
>
> Volunteers?

I'm sure Mauricio would be happy to do it, but so am I. You may want to
hold off a little while until I release rc2, which may be a few hours away.

> BTW, was it agreed to have Bundle::BioPerl as a prereq of Bioperl for
> the PPD? I seem to remember that there was talk about having to maintain
> a separate Bundle::BioPerl for each release of Bioperl. Any ideas on
> this front?

It depends on what is in the PPD and what kind of auto-dependency
features the ActiveState installer has. Given Perl 5.8 and your current
PPD, does Bioperl install with the same or fewer number of skips if you
also install Bundle::BioPerl first? That is, does Bundle::BioPerl even
do anything useful anymore? If not, obviously don't bother making it a
pre-req. If it does, my opinion is that you make it a pre-req. If people
really don't want to install the optional stuff they can download the
.zip file and install manually without even a make.