[Bioperl-l] EUtilities term handling

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Oct 5 16:02:05 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:

>>>     * Correct: &term=biomol+mrna[properties]+AND+mouse[organism]
>>
>> The correct query is the one that has +s in it.
>
> Yes, that's because it's a URL, not a raw search term string (it has
> been URI-encoded so spaces are converted to '+').  If you use that as a
> direct query in Entrez you will not get the same response.

But we're not doing Entrez queries. We're using a module called
EUtilities to do an eutils query, which involves forming a url in which
spaces should to be converted to +. That's the source of confusion. Is
the user supposed to do this, or is EUtilities?

All you had to do 8 emails ago is tell me that EUtilities is supposed to
do that. You /still/ haven't told me that. I give up.