[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.5.2 RC5 install onWinXPActivePerl 5.8.8.819

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 30 22:16:02 UTC 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Nathan S. Haigh wrote:

>> Okay, revise that.  I get the message you mentioned, but
>> installation only
>> fails after tests are run.  The single failed test (rnamotif.t) is
>> due to
>> DB_File not being installed, which Sendu has corrected in CVS and
>> (I think)
>> the 1.5.2 branch.  However, I can't get DB_File to install via
>> CPAN (I have
>> VC++ Express Edition installed).  I think XML::SAX and a few
>> others fail as
>> well.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Yes that's correct, I get the message but things then seem to
> proceed normally (not that I know what normal is!).
> I had to install DB_File via PPM and install XML::SAX explicitly in
> CPAN. That then seems to have cleared things up and the tests pass
> and bioperl core is installed. However, there are other optional
> dependencies that didn't install successfully - I suppose I should
> investigate those tomorrow.
>
> Nath

The DB_File failure is due to compilation problems.  BTW, I can get
XML::SAX to install, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I know that setting up the PPM is a pain, but I have to say it is
much faster, and all required PPMs are available.  Which makes me
curious: why bother with trying out a CPAN installation process at
this point, especially when you have to use PPM to install some of
the prereqs properly anyway?

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer